Thursday, April 23, 2015

The Ambiguous Case of Osama Bin Laden

            In my middle school years, I didn’t have an accurate understanding what a relationship with God entails. I thought He was a magical genie who would grant any wish you prayed for, but I soon realized, if God existed, He was no genie. If he was a genie, everyone’s wishes would be granted, everyone would be happy, and no one would be in pain. Even my immature 7th grade self could see this was not the condition the world was in. I was confused why earth and utopia were antonyms. I thought earth and heaven were supposed to be identical twins. I was wrong. I understand why now, but that is a different topic. What is important is that I didn’t understand then. The tragedy, violence, poverty, and hate in the world deeply disturbed me. When I saw reports of murders in Detroit, violent wars, and devastating natural disasters, my positive spirt would leak until I was nothing more than a deflated balloon. Constantly seeing and hearing of devastation in the world disheartened me so extremely I began to question the existence of God. How could this supposed God who loves the world allow so much hate? The thought of living in a world where the bad doesn’t stand a chance against the good was too terrifying. I needed a reason to not lose hope, so I prayed to God. I childishly plead for a sign that would prove God is alive in the world. I was so desperate. Anything would do. Any small positive news report or act of genuine love would have sufficed. But God didn’t do small. The next morning I woke up to hear that Osama Bin Laden was found and killed by US troops.
             There was my sign. It was a validation of God’s existence in the world. It was a message that the world was one step closer to peace. It was the hope I desperately needed. I was ecstatic and utterly amazed that God revealed Himself in such an exceptional way. My happiness grew when I became surrounded by the boosted patriotic atmosphere in America. Right before the school pledged its allegiance to the flag my teacher exclaimed, “Say it proud today”. I did. That day and many following I didn’t see depressing news reports of the world’s tragedies. Instead I saw people marching, celebrating, and singing “God Bless America”. But God, do you bless it? Do you bless this nation? A nation whose fervent momentary pride was based upon a good kill. Do you bless me? A girl who thought the death of an enemy was an honorable form of hope
            Every American citizen I encountered seemed thrilled with the news, except for my Mom. Her patriotic spirit was tiny candle compared to the fire that was consuming the nation. Perplexed by the reason her flame was so dismal, I asked her “aren’t you happy Osama is gone?” She answered in her calm voice that hid the passion behind her unpopular opinion, “No, I just don’t think it is right to be celebrating a death of a person.” I tried to ignore what my mom said. I was convinced his death was something to celebrate. It was a sign God sent me. The prayer and timing was too perfect for it to be anything but a miracle. I couldn’t allow for its purity to be tarnished. It had to have been a message from God proclaiming there was an honorable hope in the world. Didn’t it?
            Ambiguity is an inescapable side effect of faith in God. God is a mystery. A mystery we won’t completely solve in this life time. However, we are given clues. Many of the clues God has shown me are relatively clear. Because of their clarity, these clues have aided me in solving the mystery of God and have led to new understandings and revelations. However, Osama’s death is a clue that is cloudy. Some would say ambiguous. It could lead me down a few different paths. God could have been telling me that it is okay to rejoice over any sinful person’s death and suffering. Another path could be God proclaiming the world is hopeless and cruel because even the supposed “good guys” act barbarically by celebrating the end of a fellow human. Lastly, God was telling me that if I praise the suffering of another person, I would remain a sinner. God has taught me to believe the latter. However, I am still confused. If God has taught me believe that any human death shouldn’t be celebrated, why did God positively illuminate Osama’s death in seventh grade? When I was desperate for a hopeful and honorable sign He delivered a remarkable occurrence the next day. I can’t believe it was a coincidence. Maybe God was trying to give me hope for the moment. Maybe He understood what my seventh grade self and America needed to hear. If that is true, why did He have my mom shine a negative light on the idea? What my mom told me was truly wise, and I know her wisdom was shaped by her Christianity. Maybe God wanted me to live in a glass house of ignorance, but he wanted to crack it slightly so it would crumble one day. Maybe God even wanted me to write about it. Maybe it is everything I have thought of. Maybe I am so completely far off. I do not know. I can guess, but will probably never come to a definite conclusion. That is okay. However, I am a positive God has shown me one thing through this experience. Osama’s death was a sign from God. A sign that I acknowledge but will never cherish. Maybe that is why this sign is so ambiguous. My frustration with not knowing the truth prevents me from treasuring the sign. If I can’t appreciate the occurrence, how can I value the action which brought it to me? The death of a neighbor and an enemy. Two people Jesus taught me to love.

            God is mysterious. Osama’s death is one of His mysteries that I might never figure out, but I am perfectly pleased with discovering the clues in this life time instead of solving the case. 

No comments:

Post a Comment