Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Prompt- Light Bulbs

My peculiar prompt driven title might seem strange and maybe even symbolic in a way, but I regret to inform you that the meaning is pretty bland. My little sister and I were hanging out in my room and I wanted something to write about so I asked her to give me a prompt or inspiration for my next post and she, out of convenience looked up at the ceiling and saw my light, so she ingeniously suggested my inspiration should be light bulbs.
                So there it is. My title. I read a passage the other night regarding light so I decided to expand on that topic, because light and light bulbs are pretty similar. Jesus said, ‘“I am the light of the world,” he said. “Whoever follows me will have the light of life and will never walk in darkness”’ John 8:12.
                Light and dark are universal opposites. Everyone can relate to the safe and secure sensation that accompanies light. I am also sure many can relate to the ominous and frightening character of the dark. Jesus claims that he is the light of the world. What does he mean? One may never know exactly what Jesus means, but I do have an interpretation of his word. I think he is trying to portray the idea of himself being of greater value than he appears to have. He is pretty important.
Light has certain qualities, and I think Jesus is a symbolic representation of light and all of its character traits. He brings hope, security, peace, happiness, and love. Aren’t people generally happier when it is a bright sunny day with bright blue skies? Jesus further explains his statement of being the mystical “light of the world” when he says that his followers will be blessed with a light like life. He also says that his people have nothing to fear because they “will never walk in darkness”. In this verse Jesus doesn’t blatantly come out and say that if you don’t follow him you will have a life of darkness. He guarantees a dark free life for his followers. In his simple proclamation he outlines the life for his people.
                On the surface of this statement it appears redundant, but it is significant. Jesus’ first guarantee is his people “will have the light of life”. This is pretty self-explanatory right? So why is the second part guaranteeing they “will never walk in darkness” necessary? It can be inferred if you are going to lead a bright life, your life won’t be dark. Both of these statements virtually mean the same thing so why both? 
                Light and dark are universal opposites right? What other opposites are there? Day and Night. High and low. What about hope and fear? Two of the most powerful and influential human emotions in existence. Jesus indirectly addresses these pivotal human emotions in his outline of the life for his people. Jesus gives bright hope to overcome a dark fear. The simplified version of Jesus’ promise for his people are as follows: a) his people will have a good life and b) his people won’t have a bad life (the definitions for a good and bad life are debatable and inconsistent). In scenario (a) he gives his people hope for a promising life, but in choice (b) he achieves hope in a different way. By claiming that they won’t have a bad life he is giving hope through the guarantee that there is nothing to fear.
                So how does this relate to everyday life?  I really didn’t mean to get all analytical on this statement. Going off on a tangent for a moment, I think that is an amazing thing about writing. You learn as you go. You come to realizations that you didn’t know when you first started writing. When I first looked at this verse I didn’t realize the depth in which I perceived it. But anyway, back on topic!
                My analysis did help me understand what I believe he is trying to say. Jesus wants us to trust and have faith in him. There is nothing to fear if you have the strength of God with you.
Imagine a world where fear is nonexistent and hope is like an insuperable infectious disease. Optimism being virtually unavoidable. A world where trouble is unfortunately existent, but the suffering never reaches the stage where people lose their hope to fear. I think that is the life Jesus envisions in John 8:12.
Trust is the foundation of any relationship, and I think Jesus wants his people to build a relationship with him. Through trusting someone we begin to have faith in them. Having faith in God is just beautiful. God reveals his love for us through the strength of our faith in him. He gives us encouragement, hope, joy, peace, and love and so much more that cannot be put into words. Yes our lives won’t be perfect. It might not even be fair, but through the faith and love of our Lord our lives will be fulfilled. 

1 comment: