Tuesday, May 20, 2014

The Value in a Flower

                 It’s peculiar how you can find a lesson in one simple conversational exchange. A conversation that barley lasted thirty seconds, but proved itself worthy of the position of inspiration. Inspiration for what? And opinion? An action? A blog post? Little events in life should be valued more than they presently are. There are lessons to be learned, advice to be found, and opinions that can be made from the simplest events.
                It was sixth hour, and I was working on my research project for English. We had to pick a controversial issue, form a stance regarding that issue, and research it. I asked my friend what his topic was and he replied with “gene therapy”.  I wasn’t exactly sure what that was, but I guess I had a confused look on my face because he explained what it exactly meant. It is a form of gene manipulation to change the physical capabilities of a person. For example, a person’s health, speed, and strength are all susceptible to genetic altering. I am sure there are many more, but I am not educated enough on the topic. When my friend mentioned people using artificial genetic alteration to change their speed and strength, I must have again had look of disapproval on my face because he asked me a question that would be the foundation of this blog post. “If you could make yourself stronger or faster, wouldn’t you?
                My answer was no, but even though his argument proved ineffective on my not athletic mind, I started to wonder, “If I could change something about myself automatically, what would it be?” My instinctive thought was my intelligence, but if I did have a chance I wouldn’t take it. Intelligence is such a superficial quality, and I am sort of ashamed that it was my initial thought. I would have rather have instinctively thought of kindness or sincerity as areas of self-improvement. However, I am human and I am improving gradually. Anyway there are many lessons or issues in my brief encounter with my friend. For instance I can elaborate on my stance towards gene therapy. What are the essential values of a human? How does what we value shape who we are? What does Jesus think?   There are many issues or questions that can be derived from a small portion of your life, and I hope this post demonstrates that idea.
                Many people value themselves differently, but it is easy to become trapped in unrealistic visions that cloud the realistic dreams in reach. If you are a jock and athletics is your main focus in your life, you most likely judge your self-worth by your athletic performance in a game, practice, etc. If you are at the total opposite of the social spectrum, and you are a total nerd (meant in a loving way), you assess yourself primarily on your ability to perform in a test or another class assignment. Neither of these simple interpretations of self-value are despicable or wrong.  Having visions of achievement like the jock and the nerd are common traits of our lives and can be beneficial, but they often have the effect of distracting us from other more profound standards and values that we should strive to obtain and maintain.
                There are more important aspects of life than the shallow values that plague our society. How pretty am I? How strong am I? How popular am I? How intelligent am I? How powerful am I?  How wealthy am I? The desire to judge and perfect is a common trait many humans share, but our own selves are most vulnerable to this constant need for perfection. What is perfection? That depends on your viewpoint and what qualities you value in yourself. 
                I guess my question is – why do we assess the value of ourselves on insincere qualities and don’t regard inner characteristics like kindness and compassion with a sufficient amount of importance? Humans are often selfish. We care more about our own strive towards success, rather than considering our impact on others. I think in today’s society we overemphasize the importance of “me me me” and not enough on “you, they, we”. The value of our lives and ourselves shouldn’t be measured by achievement of shallow successes, but by the way we treat each other.
                When Jesus preached he didn’t accentuate the need for intelligence, wealth, beauty, or physical strength. He stressed the importance of improvement in human relation, and positive and beautiful values worth striving for.  Yes I know Jesus mostly focused on human relationship with god. He even says the greatest commandments to “Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength.” Mark 12: 30. But don’t forget! There is a second most important commandment that directly relates to human relations which is “Love your neighbor as you love yourself.”  Mark 12: 31.  
                Loving someone means more than just saying, “I love you”. It encompasses the actions love influences. When you love someone you care about them as much as you care about yourself if not more. You care about their well-being. You care about their happiness. You care about their fulfillment. Jesus wants us to humble ourselves and live our lives for the fulfillment of others. He wants us to be compassionate with each other. Be sincere with one another. Be kind to everyone. Be helpful to anyone. If everyone acted on the influences of love we would be living in a better world, but the loving actions that accompany love are scarce because love is scarce. We think offering love is a limited occurrence. Our love is the hottest party and only the select few on the exclusive guest list have access to it. “We can’t just love any! We must wait for them to prove they are worthy of our love.” Love is not supposed to be complicated. Love is an incredibly influential emotion, and if we limit the love in our life, we limit that positive influences that complement it. Love is like water. Without it our lives would be nothing. Just a dull dried up flower who does more harm to the world than good. However, if the wonderful water is present, a beautiful flower can blossom, and if the flower allows more water to enter, the flower will become brighter.
                When Jesus says to “Love your neighbor” he wants an abundance of water to exist in our lives in order to produce the brightest flower. He wants care, happiness, compassion, sincerity, and kindness to become the beaming petals that form the flower. Our self-worth shouldn’t be judged based on simple and superficial qualities such as strength and intelligence that were wrongly but forgivably promoted by my friend.  The value we find in ourselves should be influences by the radiance of our flower. 

No comments:

Post a Comment